Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures

Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures - learning about gardening up north.

Monday, April 5, 2010

About Chateau Listeur... the name


I have been making home brewed beer since 1975 and started making hard apple cider and berry wines in 1980. After moving to Alaska it was very exciting to see all of the berries that grow very well  up here.  Growing my own berries in Alaska was a no-brainer. In Alaska I continued with my hobby making wine from produce that I bought. My goal is to make wine out of the fruits and berries that I grow myself.


I did plant a raspberry bed in my front yard in Anchorage and it was very productive as you can see.


My favorite resource for berry growing information is The Backyard Berry Book by Stella Otto.



When I moved out to Wasilla I brought some raspberry plants along and they are doing well out in my Wasilla garden. I have since added rhubarb, black currents, gooseberries, blackberries, and a strawberry bed. It is taking a few seasons for the berries to mature and become productive.

My country wine recipes make five gallons and require about 15 lbs of berries or fruit. I pick the berries as they ripen and wash and freeze them for later use. I have about 8 lbs of frozen raspberries saved so far. During my first summer in Wasilla I decided to visit Pyrah's Pioneer Peak Farm. They allow the public to pick their own produce. I came home with 25 lbs of rhubarb and set about producing my first vintage Chateau Listeur country wine... The complete step by step recipe for Alaska Rhubarb Wine can be found on my Alaska Home Wine-makers Blog.


Hence the name I chose to call the property is for use on my country wine labels as you can see. Cheers!

19 comments:

  1. How far did you space your raspberry bushes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did 2 feet apart, since they multiply and fill in the area.

      Delete
  2. When setting out the new plants they were spaced about 18" apart - but over the years they will spread and quickly fill in the entire bed with new shoots every year. It is important to prune out the old canes every winter when they are dormant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on Pinterest. Awesome idea and beautiful berries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, I've been wanting to grow my raspberry bushes in a more "tame" manner- this is just what I was looking for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Idea - They seem to flourish in a contained area - Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jim. We have a raised bed and recently planted raspberries. When building your supports, about how tall did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When can I transplant raspberry plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall or Spring when they are still dormant.

      Delete
  9. Ditto Amy's request: What are the dimensions of your support posts? They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just what I have wanted to see. Raspberries contained -- love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess I am not the only one excited to see a raised bed Raspberry Garden
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you share the size of your bed and the size of your cross braces?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have existing raspberry bushes in our backyard, next to a fence, supported by rope. I think I'd like to build your support system...where can I find the plans / dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What's the measurement on your raised bed

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I have some wild raspberry and blackberry bushes in my backyard, while they do produce some fruit, I would like to help them along to be more productive. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what raspberry varietal do you grow?

    ReplyDelete
  17. what raspberry varietal do you grow?

    ReplyDelete