Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures

Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures - learning about gardening up north.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sweet Pickles

My first Alaska cucumber has been pickled. I made sweet cucumber chunks with raisins, cloves, onion, and celery seed for flavor. It made 2 full pints of pickles from one large cucumber. I used the quick hot brine method and these will be refrigerator pickles as I did not process the jars for storage. I will let them mellow in the fridge for several weeks before I try them. Yum!

Sweet cucumber chunks

Some Facebook friends asked for my recipe:

1/2" thick sliced cucumber
Sliced Onion
pickling salt
Soak in salted water for 3 hours.

Combine:
3 cups cider vinegar
4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
raisins
whole cloves
(adjust amounts for more cucumbers)

Bring to a boil in stainless steel pot. Drain cucumbers and onions and rinse. Add to cooking liquid. Return to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Pack into sterile jars and top with hot cooking liquid. Add lids and rings. Allow to cool and lids to pop. Store in fridge. Wait at least 2 weeks before tasting.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I found you on Networked Blogs and followed. I am new to Alaska. Been here for just a year, chasing that crazy Iditarod dreams.

    Robert
    http://www.robertforto.com

    ReplyDelete