Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures

Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures - learning about gardening up north.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

May Planting Update

The weather has been unbelievable this May 2014. It has been warm and sunny and the temperatures have been much warmer than usual with many daytime highs in the mid 70's and on Saturday, May 17th it made it up to 78 degrees.. It is very tempting to put many plants out into the garden - but I am not so sure just yet. My home weather station has been a great help in tracking overnight low temperatures and it was still dropping below freezing last week. It is finally staying in the mid to high 30's F at night. Luckily I have been able to move many plants out to my greenhouse and keep it warm enough at night with an electric space heater, but my greenhouse is getting over crowded and I could use more space.


I have 20 Grow Bucket tomatoes and many extras in gallon pots that I will move out to my hoop tunnel garden beds later this week. I could make more grow buckets if I had a more greenhouse space. A second unheated greenhouse is on my to-do list.


I will be transplanting my broccoli, kale, and lettuce today, and many of my flowers too. I also have flats with peppers and eggplant and some will go into Grow Buckets and most will go into raised beds with hoop tunnels in my garden.


Thank goodness for our long Alaska daylight as I am able to comfortably work in my garden past 10 PM with 17 hours of sun and increasing every day. Summer in Alaska is simply unbelievable and with just the right timing you can have a very successful garden season - even if the outdoor growing season seems short - serious gardeners are kept busy for many months getting ready for the mad dash to take advantage of our warm summer weather. 

3 comments:

  1. I am envious of your tomatoes to be sure. They look better than mine and I put mine in the ground a month ago! One thing is that we've had a somewhat cool spring so far but it'll be hot before we know it. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, discovered your wonderful blog via another site, I'm just wondering if you have trouble with pollination as your tomatoes seem to be growing indoors. Don't they need bees to pollinate them? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for all pictures and also content so informative. Few days ago I was looked another site. That site also help all by give suggestions. to get that suggestions. You may click here.
    greenhouse polycarbonate

    ReplyDelete