Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures

Wasilla Alaska Garden Adventures - learning about gardening up north.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Spring Planting Begins...

It is that time of the year again, when all of the gardeners in the Matsu Valley, here in South Central, Alaska rush to get everything planted out in their garden just as early as absolutely possible. The warm sunny days are so tempting to set out plants and yet the idea of another killer frost overnight is always in the back of your mind. I took the extra step years ago to purchase a home weather station and tracking overnight low temperatures in my home garden has saved my bacon several times. I found out that my garden can be 5-10 degrees colder than surrounding locations just a mile or two away. Just this morning, on Sunday May 17, I recorded an overnight low of 31 degrees. Luckily I took the time, before going to bed, to set up a small electric space heater inside my greenhouse that kept the temperature inside above 40 degrees.  

Click image for larger view.
My property is lower than my neighbors and slopes slightly to the northwest. I am also on the edge of a valley. So all of the cold air flows down to the valley overnight and right through my yard. It is not the optimal location to be sure. Yet, this has been another mild winter with a very early Spring warm-up. The climate here in Alaska is definitely warming faster than anywhere else. When I first moved to Alaska, 24 years ago, the well known Iditirod Sled Dog Race had their Official Start here in Wasilla, yet about 10 years ago they had to move 30 miles further north because of our lack of snow. For the second time, in the past 10 years, they had to move the whole race this year to Fairbanks and change the route completely due to the lack of snow on the traditional trail. So on Saturday May 16, I spent the day planting my cold tolerant crops out in my garden. I planted broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, lettuce, and onions.


I also set up a covered hoop tunnel and set out some zucchini plants under plastic. 


I constructed these wire covered cages last year to keep the neighborhood moose from destroying my garden, as they regularly did in the past. I plan to be planting some winter squash, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers out under hoop tunnels later this week. My main crop tomatoes and some eggplant will be planted in my Alaska Grow Buckets inside the greenhouse.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. I like the wire hoops. Looks like that took some time to do but worth Moose- proofing I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those wire hoops, I'll have to keep that in mind I live north of Wasilla, in Houston, and enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete